Every year more than 3 million reports of child abuse are made in the United States. This website focuses on giving awareness of child abuse and its effects, specifically trauma. Children are known for their resiliency, but in many cases the effects of abuse can linger and develop deep roots into the child that may affect them as they grow. Children can greatly benefit from counseling through the many interventions and resources. I hope that this website can give an insight into the effects of child abuse and awareness through the use of technology.
- Every year more than 3.6 million referrals are made to child protection agencies involving more than 6.6 million children (a referral can include multiple children).
- A report of child abuse is made every ten seconds.
- The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention links adverse childhood experiences (which include other household dysfunctions along with abuse and neglect) with a range of long-term health impacts.
- Individuals who reported six or more adverse childhood experiences had an average life expectancy two decades shorter than those who reported none.
- Ischemic heart disease (IHD), Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), liver disease and other health-related quality of life issues are tied to child abuse.
SYMPTOMS OF TRAUMA that may affect all children
- Major changes in eating or sleeping
- Anger or rage
- Unreasonable fear
- Unusually strong startle reactions